This course is ideal for those who would like to become an MHFAider® to:
- Gain the knowledge and skills to spot signs of people experiencing poor mental health
- Be confident starting a conversation and signpost a person to appropriate support
Alongside the best evidence-based Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training, MHFAiders® are also provided with three-year access to ongoing learning and support through the MHFAider Support App®. The app gives you 24/7 digital support, access to exclusive resources, ongoing learning opportunities, and the benefit of joining England’s largest community of trained MHFAiders®.
As an MHFAider® you will be able to:
- Recognise those that may be experiencing poor mental health and provide them with first-level support and early intervention
- Encourage a person to identify and access sources of professional help and other supports
- Practice active listening and empathy
- Have a conversation with improved mental health literacy around language and stigma
- Discuss the role in depth, including boundaries and confidentiality
- Practice self-care
The course is set into four manageable chunks delivered by one of our engaging and knowledgeable trainers, using a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions. As a charity, we know all about mental health and have a deeper understanding of the impact that poor mental health can have on our communities and workplaces.
- What is Mental Health First Aid?
- The MHFAider® role
- The MHFA action plan
- What is mental health?
- What influences mental health?
- Applying the action plan
- What is anxiety?
- What is a traumatic event?
- Active listening and empathy
- What are eating disorders?
- What is substance misuse?
- What is depression?
- What is suicide?
- What is psychosis?
- Recovery and lived experience
- Boundaries of the MHFAider® role
- Moving forward in the MHFAider® rol
Everyone who completes this course gets:
- A manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
- A wallet sized fold out card detailing the Mental First Aid Action Plan
- A certificate of attendance to show you are a Mental Health First Aider
- Three-year access to the 24/7 MHFAider Support App®
- Access to ongoing learning to support you in the role and ensure you have the most up-to-date information on mental health
- A library of resources that will support you to have impactful conversations
- MHFAider®online events, exploring different topics and themes around mental health and the MHFAider® role
- Exclusive MHFAider® content, regular online events to provide further learning and support so you are confident to perform your role effectively, long after your training
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your in-house course. Discounts are available for charities and group bookings.
Download the Mental Health First Aid and MHFAider® Support Overview powerpoint here!