Care Leaver’s


You might be excited, scared, confused, or worried about leaving care.

You may be worried about how you will support yourself financially, or you may be feeling pressure to decide what you want to do with your life and what the future holds. These are big decisions, but it’s important to remember that not everybody your age knows what they want to do.

We can help you become more independent and confident after leaving care and explore all the options that are available to you. This service is available in St Helens and Salford.

Make a referral

How can we help?

Our Care Leavers Advocacy service can support you when leaving care. We can help you put forward your thoughts and wishes to the right people and refer you to services that can help you. These can include:

  • Finding somewhere to live
  • Learning how to manage money
  • Continuing with education, if you wish
  • Finding work or training, if you wish

You will be appointed your own Advocate, who will help you prepare for life after care.

What is an advocate?

A Care Leaver’s Advocate is a specialist, independent person, who is there to make sure that you are listened to when leaving care, and that your opinions and wishes are respected.

An Advocate can:

  • Help you be more involved in important decisions about your life
  • Support you to communicate your needs and wishes, or do this on your behalf
  • Be a source of support
  • Make you aware of your rights
  • Challenge decisions that have been made on your behalf
  • Provide information on what options are available to you
  • Refer you to services that can help you find your feet (financial services, education services etc.)
  • Work with you to get the outcome you want

An Independent Advocate will make sure that you have the support you are entitled to. They will ensure that you have the same opportunities as anyone else your age and that most importantly, you are happy and safe when leaving care.

Can I trust my Advocate?

Of course. An Advocate is only interested in you and what you want. They work on your behalf and based on what you tell them to do. They work independently from your local authority and children’s services. The service is completely free.

You can trust your Advocate and tell them anything. They won’t tell anyone else unless you ask them to, or unless you are in danger.

How do I get an Advocate?

If you would like an Advocate, please complete a referral form. You can also ask your social worker to do this on your behalf if you wish.

You can also call our Children and Young Person’s Helpline on 0300 323 0965 for more information, or speak to us online via our Live Chat.

Make a referral


Back to Top