Children and Young

People’s Advocacy

Advocacy can help you communicate your views and wishes about your care, or if you are unhappy about something. Advocacy is a basic human right and sometimes it is required by law.

When might you need an Advocate?

  • If you are unhappy with the way you are being cared for
  • If you are unhappy with a decision that has been made about your care
  • If decisions are being made about you that you aren’t involved in
  • If you feel you are not being treated fairly
  • If someone hasn’t done something they said they would
  • If you are angry or upset about something that is happening to you
  • If you feel like no one is listening to you
  • If you feel as though you can’t trust anyone
  • If you wish to make a complaint about your care

How can an Advocate help?

An Advocate can help in many ways. They can:

  • Make you aware of your rights whilst in care
  • Discuss options and outcomes with you
  • Help you understand what is happening and why
  • Make sure you’re involved in important meetings or decisions
  • Make sure you are happy with the decisions made about your care
  • Help you become more confident to put your own views and feelings across
  • Help you to say what you want to happen
  • Attend meetings for you if you don’t want to go
  • Help you to prepare for important meetings
  • Help you to raise any concerns or complaints
  • Help you prepare for leaving care (age 16+)

An Advocate is someone who is on your side, but there are some situations they cannot change. However they will always make sure the right people know how you feel.

Can I trust my Advocate?

An Advocate is independent from social services, your local council and children’s services. They work on your behalf and are there to be on your side. You can trust your Advocate and tell them anything. They won’t tell anyone else unless you ask them to or unless you are in danger.

An Advocate will listen to you and help with any concerns you have whilst living in care. An Advocate’s only concern is making sure that you are happy and safe.

How do I get an Advocate?

If you would like an Advocate, you can download a referral form right here. Simply fill it in and email it back to us. You can also ask your social worker to do this on your behalf if you wish.

You can also call our Children and Young Person’s Helpline on 0300 323 0965 for more information, or speak to us online now via our Live Chat.


Click the link to download

Download our Guide to Children's Rights and Advocacy

Download File

Want to know what we do with your data? Download our Privacy Notice

Download File


Back to Top